Friday, August 8, 2008

Week #6 - Thing #14 Technorati

Have we really evolved from the Wilson indexes? More lists to scan and our school library topical searches display numerous tech products in articles & ads. The obvious way to go is with Watchlist to fine-tune one's interests. From a middle school classroom perspective and blocking software aside, I'd use blogs as vehicles for students to learn about facts vs fiction, source biases, and effects of social media. Did look at Technorati's management & board of directors to count only 2 women total.

Their advanced search in an important tool for keeping word orders together and for tag searching. I continue to think tagging is great because it matches our brain's fluidity. It's open-ended not limiting. Is censoring involved with what's allowed to be posted? Volume is an issue with the amount of data out there already so I'm not concerned with too many synonymous tags.

Popular blogs did not catch my interest. I prefer my hot topics from the LA Times feed. Technorati generates its own media buzz of what's important, and I wonder how its "pulse of the blogosphere" becomes big brother watching. They measure attention, and I would love to harness that for middle school. I'm going to pass on signing up as a member or to claim my blog.

No comments: