Saturday, August 9, 2008

Week #7 - Thing #16 Wikis

Saw more wiki postings than commentary on the school sites. Joyce Valenza's teacherlibrarianwiki, Carol VanHook's handouts in Library Success, A Best Practices Wiki and Library Instruction Wiki were the most relevant for my middle school needs. But didn't find specific middle school lessons I could use. Have to start using the Creative Commons to model ethical use.

Am looking forward to creating wikis in place of pathfinders. I can't envision many middle schoolers adding to my pathfinder/wiki but I do see it as a useful tool for group projects. Destiny now lets students add book reviews, but not talk to each other. I don't see MS students able to effectively use that feature were it available. Considering their developmental level, conversation skills, and poor use of Learning Point messaging, my reservations may be more about school-imposed self-censorship than a free exchange of ideas. Hmmm, more thought needed here.

No comments: